The Free Lancer

A Curious Savage Hits the Stage this Week

Antoinette Aho, Editor-in-Chief

The Drama department is starting the year off with the play A Curious Savage, which will be showing at the CHS performing arts center this coming weekend. The play, by John Patrick, is about an elderly widow named Mrs. Savage, whose husband has left her 10 million dollars. She intends to give the entire fortune away to people who wish to pursue their “foolish dreams,” but her stepchildren strongly object. The drama class and club have been rehearsing and creating the set for the past month, dedicating time and energy into the play.

For the fifth year, Mr. Cornfield is directing the students and teaching them how to become better actors and actresses. Many of them have participated in drama the previous year, some have even been doing it since they came to Cordova. Emely Mejia is a sophomore in drama, one of the best parts of drama for her is “The ability to express myself in any way I could possibly dream of, alongside some of the most important people to me.” She loves the way her imagination can run wild, saying that almost anything is possible on the stage. Jackson Harville is a junior, he’s playing an old, polite man named Hannibal who used to be a statistician. When asked about the experiences he has earned from drama he says, “You can walk in and express any emotion or idea that you want, It’s open to all sorts of creativity. It can almost be like a way to get your mind off things for awhile.” He also loves the entertainment factor, being able to make the audience feel emotion, and theatre is the best place to do that.  Another member is Audrey Davis, she plays the nurse, Miss Willie, she participated in drama last year and performed in both the play and musical. The best part of drama for her is the relationships, she states, “If I hadn’t joined drama, I would never have met the people I consider my family. Of course, you won’t like every single person you meet, but without everyone, the show wouldn’t feel the same. You learn to appreciate everyone.” Each student gains different experiences from being part of the class, not only do they excel in communication, but their improvisation and thinking skills are enhanced.

As mentioned before, A Curious Savage is this year’s play, Mr. Cornfield, and his students chose it because, “It’s a very funny but warm play with a great message. Also, the characters are really fun for actors to play and I knew the students would really enjoy playing them.” says Mr. Cornfield. Both plays and musicals are challenging to construct, not only do students need to be committed, but they must be willing to take risks and grow in the process. This performance, in particular, is making students work even harder, since it’s a longer play then they have done and in the past and essentially more work for the students. Those are a couple of the challenges the students have experienced. But, last year’s play can attest that the struggle is worth the outcome. For the actors it’s the feeling that they get when they’re onstage performing for the audience. For Mr. Cornfield, it’s seeing their hard work contribute to the beautiful finished product, which is a smooth performance.

If you’re interested in seeing A Curious Savage and supporting the drama department, come to the opening night on Thursday the 18th. Friday and Sunday will be the final performance nights, all the shows begin at 7:00 in the Cordova Theatre. Tickets are selling for 8 dollars for students and seniors, 5 dollars for Cordova students with their ID, and 10 dollars for adults. They’re available for purchase here or at the box office the night of the performance. Don’t miss out Lancers!

About the Writer
Antoinette Aho, Editor-In-Chief

Antoinette is The Free Lancer Editor-in-Chief, she is currently a sophomore at Cordova High School and member of the California Scholarship Federation,...