The Free Lancer

German Exchange Students Visit Cordova

Olivia Gilles, Reporter

We asked our visiting German exchange students about their experiences here in the US and here is what we they had to say:

The first thing that comes to my mind thinking about the differences to School in Germany is that we have determined classes which used to have their own classroom (except for the subjects that require special equipment or supplies). That says that the teachers are switching between the different class rooms and not the students. In addition to that we have a different schedule for every day of the week with longer lasting periods. School starts at 7:50 a.m. and after every double lesson (90 minutes) we have a twenty-minute break. Normal school days end after the 6th period at 1:05 pm but we do have some lessons (depending on the chosen courses) in the afternoon with a 45 minute lunch break. I would say that the Cordova High School and the classes in general are more modernized (using Smartboards instead of blackboards and laptops in almost every class for work). Mentioning technology there is to say that we are not allowed to use our phones at all during school, they have to be stored in our bag at all times. To be a part of this school and the whole community is very interesting but we got used to it far more quickly than I expected us to.

The only thing that attracts negative attention to me during our stay here is the food and trash handling. During lunch break we see so many people wasting the food that could be eaten at another point. Often it is something they started eating but then they just leave it but sometimes we watch people trashing an whole apple or salad away. To us, this is a improvable habit, as well as the garbage separation. But also, I have to say that in general the people here are very nice and far more open-minded as in Germany which I will probably miss when we are going back home.

During our first 10 days here in California we have had a great time experiencing a lot of things we will never forget. Watching the football game on Friday with the Cheerleaders and the school band was very impressive and a lot of fun as we never have school events like this in Germany. On Saturday we went to the Airshow which was an incredible event for all of us. Going to San Francisco,  spending time at Fisherman’s Wharf and all the important sights, as the Golden Gate Bridge, and enjoying the time together with our exchange students in this beautiful city was one of the highlights of our time so far.

Also, I have to say that in general the people here are very nice and far more open-minded as in Germany which I will probably miss when we are going back home.

As you can see the Student Exchange is a unique experience and I’m very thankful to the school but especially to my host family that I have the opportunity to spend three weeks here in Sacramento which I will never forget!

About the Writer
Olivia Gilles, Reporter

Olivia is a Junior at Cordova High School, she is interested in history and agriculture and one day aspires to become a college professor, farmer, or florist.