The Free Lancer

Venom (2018) Movie Review

Diane Salinas, Reporter

Venom is the newest addition to the few Anti-Hero or Vigilante movies out there and to the Sony and Marvel collaboration. It was released on October 5th of 2018 and was directed by Ruben Fleischer. Though Sony has gotten negative feedback before for their production of Andrew Garfield’s The Amazing Spider-Man and their portrayal of Venom in Tobey Maguire’s Spider-Man 3, they did a surprisingly fantastic job at producing Tom Hardy’s Venom (2018).
From the plot to the CGI and acting, it was done phenomenally and it is indeed in the running for one of the best movies of 2018, and one of the best movies from the Marvel and Sony collaborations. Tom Hardy did an amazing job portraying Eddie Brock, along with Michelle Williams depiction Anne Weying. Image result for venom

Riz Ahmed’s role as Carlton Drake, you kind of couldn’t help but like, he was another antagonist that did such a good job you ended up liking him in the end. Such as Tom Hiddleston’s Loki in Avengers, Josh Brolin’s Thanos in Avengers Infinity War, or Michael B. Jordan’s Erik Killmonger in Black Panther.

The movie did a great job with illustrating the possessiveness Venom has over Eddie and his life, showing the transformation and toxicity when one of the Symbiotes or “parasites” posses or take control over one’s body. Comedy and style wise, it doesn’t necessarily fit in with the bright and colorful Marvel films but isn’t as dark and somber as other Hero/Action movies out there.

Related imageHowever, some things are pretty faulty that must be pointed out. The movie’s exposition is very quick and not very detailed, no one wants a five-hour opening and movies, in general, are supposed to be pretty fast-paced. However, this movie didn’t seem it even had an exposition, it sort of jumped into the rising action.

The first rising action was extraordinarily long and felt like it was piling and dragging on, but it did make up for the high sequence climax. It was very well done and did a wonderful job with building up the relationship between Eddie and Venom. Then, the second rising action dragged but nowhere near as long as the first one did, it gave the audience a better understanding and background for Venom and focused on Venom’s sudden change of mind and possession over Eddie.

But moving onto the second and supposedly  “main” climax was not at all satisfying and was disappointing. There was no exact falling action or resolution, and (Spoiler Alert) Venom had “died” along with Carlton and his symbiote, Riot, during the second climax. But at the end of the movie, Venom was suddenly alive and paired with Eddie again, and that was suddenly the end of the movie.Related image

Considering Tom Hardy is signed for three total Venom movies, it was pretty obvious they were going to leave doors open for the sequel and hopefully for the third movie, but it didn’t excuse the fact for the plot holes through the movie. Overall, they could’ve done a better job with evening out the movie and tying up loose ends, but the plot and acting were outstanding and they did a phenomenal job.

About the Writer
Diane Salinas, Reporter

Diane is a freshman at Cordova High School, she plays softball and enjoys movies and writing fiction. Her dream job is an author or social worker.