The Free Lancer

California’s New Superintendent of Public Instruction was Sworn In Yesterday

Antoinette Aho, Editor-in-Chief

Early yesterday morning, Tony Thurmond was sworn in as the newly elected superintendent of California’s public school system. The ceremony was held in C.K McClatchy high school’s very own auditorium in Sacramento.

Thurmond showed great potential and drive throughout his campaign. The race was against another major candidate, Marshall Tuck. Thurmond had a prominent 187,000 votes over his competition, but the race was intense.

Thurmond was endorsed by the California Teacher Association as well as the California Democratic Party, which aided his reputation as a candidate.

In his acceptance speech, he shed significant light on the problem of the “prison pipeline” California’s public schools face. As someone who experienced behavior related issues in his time at school, Thurmond believes it is his duty and each individual school’s, to change what happens on campus each day. Through monitoring students and changing the atmosphere on campus, the state’s new public school superintendent plans to reduce the number of students who leave school.

Thurmond believes his experience in education, as he served four years representing the Assembly in Richmond, Oakland and other bay communities, and his own life encounters will aid him in benefiting the students of California to the best of his ability.

About the Writer
Antoinette Aho, Editor-In-Chief

Antoinette is The Free Lancer Editor-in-Chief, she is currently a sophomore at Cordova High School, Vice President of Service for the California Scholarship...