LA Teachers Strike – Putting Education on Pause for over 600,000 Students

Teachers and students rally in the steps in front of Hamilton High School, Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2019, in Los Angeles, during a citywide teacher strike. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel)

AP

Antoinette Aho, Editor-in-Chief

Educators of the nation’s second-largest school system walked out on strike on Monday, Jan. 14. It has been three decades since the last major strike, but once again LA teachers are demanding raises and more funding for public schools.

LAUSD schools are overpopulated with students, many classes range from 30-50 students, but there is a lack of teachers and staff. Many schools only have nurses one day of the week, and counselors are overwhelmed by the number of students they assist.

Due to these unsustainable conditions, schools are demanding more funding so that they can be equipped with proper staff and pay teachers a worthy salary.

Specifically, public schools want the same opportunities as private and charter institutions. Their students, notably those in the minority, face a deficit in attention because of over populated classes and a lack of educational guidance.

These issues led the past week to be filled with unsatisfied LA teachers, and their students, petitioning for a better public school system.