The Free Lancer

Uncovering the International Baccalaureate

Antoinette Aho, Editor-in-Chief

Cordova High School has officially adopted the International Baccalaureate Curriculum for a short 5 years. Previously, Cordova was a common AP school, but the past few years have excelled the school’s worth, granting it a position alongside the few thousand other IB schools across the world. Ranging from Russia to Colombia, countries across the globe have taken this international philosophy of learning into play.

But, for many schools who recently became part of the practice, students don’t enjoy all aspects, at least not at the beginning.

An influx of sophomores entering their first year out of MYP lead to the prospect of new rigorous classes, this future is exhilarating yet worrisome. Notions of IB classes not being worth the time and effort spread around campuses like Cordova, devaluing the significance and privileges of the IB curriculum. Rather than wallowing in these rumors, The Free Lancer writes the truth about IB and the Diploma Programme, from past and present students.

Hector Esparza (‘18) was asked what his opinion of IB is – Esparza graduated from CHS last year, also having received the IB Diploma, he now attends UCLA. “The IB diploma program was one of the most intense curriculums I’ve ever had to endure, but I was definitely say I wouldn’t trade it for anything. The information and knowledge you learn during the IB sticks with you long term and you begin being able to analyze things in a much more sophisticated way” says Esparza. When it comes to the rigor of the work he says, “I do and will always recommend challenging yourself by taking the IB program because everything else will seem so easy in comparison. Something about crying over not finishing a Math IA is really humbling.” Although he has already graduated Esparza continues to look back on his IB experiences, “I still feel super connected with the IB kids and am always available to answer questions or give suggestions, and I know that the kids who come from the Cordova IB program are really going to change the world.”

Esparza graduated alongside 15 other seniors last year who completed full IB. According to Esparza, there’s no doubt that the effort is worth the outcome.

Asking to stay anonymous, a junior at CHS recently dropped full IB, deciding to lighten their schedule for the end of this year and their senior year as well. They feel that their IB experience has been positive thus far. They say, “Of course there have been difficulties that come with it such as stress and a heavy workload, but I do think that I have gained a lot from it. The education I gain from certain subjects does help better me for my future and I enjoy most of my IB classes.”

Similar to AP, the IB curriculum can be rigorous and like that of the college level.

Margaux Bautista (‘21) is a sophomore who has just finished applying for her full IB classes that she will begin taking next semester. She attended an MYP middle school as well, so her knowledge of the IB curriculum is well formed. Like many, she plans to do full IB for the experience. She says, “I want to be more prepared for college and I’ve heard that it’s [full IB] is really stressful but that it’ll help you manage your stress.”

The 2019 class will be the fifth IB class to graduate at Cordova. Their effort and drive works to fuel the future IB students while creating a better school and academia on campus.

Although, there are multiple views on the IB system, there’s no denying that the end value is well worth the work. A diploma or even certificate from a globally recognized system of learning strengthens one’s resume while expanding their mind during the process of earning the diploma.

About the Writer
Antoinette Aho, Editor-In-Chief

Antoinette is The Free Lancer Editor-in-Chief, she is currently a sophomore at Cordova High School and member of the California Scholarship Federation,...