The Free Lancer

Why Off-Campus Lunch Should be Permitted

Antoinette Aho, Editor-in-Chief

Cordova High School’s open campus allows students access to the public, including stores and restaurants. But these opportunities aren’t authorized for students during lunch periods. This limitation on where and when students can be causes undisciplined behavior, such as ditching classes or ordering food to campus without permission.

Many students aren’t worried with the repercussions that may follow them if their rule-breaking actions are noticed. Consequences may include detention, or Saturday school. This disturbance leads to a lack of orderly behavior and more students ordering food and leaving campus sans consent.

To cease this conflict, students, based on merit, should have the opportunity to have off-campus lunches.

If they have a car they should be allowed to use it during lunch to get food, but if not, walking should not be allowed since lunch periods are only half an hour.

Cordova being such a large school, many people would leap to the offer, to put a limit on these advantages, they should only be open to upperclassmen: juniors and seniors.  

To gain access to these privileges, those interested should apply for an off campus lunch card, their grades, attendance, citizenship, and previous records should be consulted. If the student is clear, permission may be granted with parent consent as well. This would likely help clear some liability issues.

Furthermore, students should have access to food from off-campus sources, considering the fact that the school lunch at most high schools, including Cordova, isn’t healthy or worth the price.

In addition, restricting this access disposes of the useful opportunities the Cordova campus provides for public access.  

Stopping students from having the ability to leave campus for lunch restricts their rights. It poses the school as a confined place of learning, not somewhere open and welcoming. Although the school and district would have to sort out the liability of the matter, there’s no denying the fact that with proper guidance the proposition would provide more benefits than drawbacks.

About the Writer
Antoinette Aho, Editor-In-Chief

Antoinette is The Free Lancer Editor-in-Chief, she is currently a sophomore at Cordova High School and member of the California Scholarship Federation,...