Limited Bathroom Passes Violate Student Rights

Back to Article
Back to Article

Antoinette Aho, Editor-in-Chief

There’s a general consensus around campus that students don’t appreciate the limited bathroom passes that many teachers set. While the Cordova administration believes these restrictions stop students from missing class and intentionally skipping lessons, the notion isn’t in tune with student rights.

According to The California Education Code, refusal to allow students to go to the bathroom is considered corporal punishment and is therefore illegal.

For instance, teachers who only allow their students to use the restroom three times during a semester, prohibit their legal rights as a student.

Simultaneously, limiting bathroom rights impacts education worse than it does to support it. When students can’t use the restroom during class they go during passing period, but this poses the risk of them being late to their next period. Instead of allowing the student to be a few minute late, they become marked late in PowerSchool. An accumulation of these marks can cause a student to be issued Saturday school or afterschool detention.

While detention does fit into the California Education Code, the punishment does not make a change on student’s actions concerning restroom use. They continue to be late to classes and miss instructional time because of teacher enforced prohibition.

Furthermore, teachers typically don’t allow students to use the restroom during the first or last ten minutes of class. This would be the most ideal time since students and teachers are either setting up or winding down during that time. Instead, students are to use the bathroom during the middle of class, which is usually the most important part education wise.

The bathroom pass system should be unified across campus so that it no longer violates student rights while supporting education, instead of harming it.