The Free Lancer

The Big Red Music Machine

Margaux Bautista, Reporter

As a member of the Big Red Music Machine, commitment is very important to us. We started practicing the field show back in July and since then we’ve been practicing and memorizing our music and sets for our future band competitions. The football games are also important performances, since we perform at every home game. This year our show is called Superstition and we feature memorable songs like Superstition by Stevie Wonder and Creep by Radiohead. We’re performing some of this year’s field show at JV Halftime at the Homecoming game.

We have practice every Wednesday from 6pm to 9pm to work on our marching movements, and we have sectionals on Thursdays where we practice our music with our sections. It’s important to be committed and come to every practice in order to have a successful show. Even though all of our members have homework, assignments, and other miscellaneous projects to do, we make sure to come to every practice and put our all into every performance. The success of our show is in the hands of each and every one of us, and with one member slacking off, the whole performance can be thrown off balance.

It’s easy staying committed when you love what you do. Personally, I wouldn’t do band unless I truly loved it, and I do. It’s a lot of time out of your day but at the end of the day it’s worth it when you see the outcome. All the hours you put into practicing and learning your sets help the overall band become more successful. Plus, at the end of the day it feels really good to know you did your best and gave it your all. It’s important to always strive for improvement for the next show, but to not regret anything after you’ve left the field.

At the end of the day, I believe band is worth all the late night practices, the long bus rides to other schools, and the hours of hard work we put into it. Being committed is a big part of band, because if one person misses a practice, or slacks off then it jeopardizes everyone. It’s easy love what you do when you know everyone in band is there to help each other whenever someone needs it. When everyone in band gives it their all, it ensures the success of the show and gives you a feeling of accomplishment no one can ever take away from you.

About the Writer
Margaux Bautista, Reporter

Margaux is a sophomore at Cordova High School. She is involved in band, journalism club, and mathletes.